This is a survey sent to me by a Japanese client who is considering representing my line at their trade show in Japan.
Thought it might be interesting for my readers to get a little background info on me to see who I really am… (sorry for the typos; it’s just a draft)
1. Where you are from. When you were born(if you don’t mind)
2. When you moved to Hawaii (if you are not from here)
3. When you started designing and how you started.
4. What inspires you for your design.
5. What main concept, feeling, expression of your products.
6. What kind of material you use. Anything special?
7. Any media exposed? Please list them as much as possible.
8. Including your back ground, something catchy and interesting story to go along with your brand concept OR totally opposite story.
1. I was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, my mother is Hawaiian and I spent my summers growing up in Hawaii visiting my grandparents, always wishing that I lived the island lifestyle.
2. I moved to Hawaii after I graduated from college in 2005. I moved here December 24, so living in Hawaii was my Christmas present to myself.
3. I started designing jewelry in 2002 by making some Christmas gifts of earrings for my girlfriends. I was at a craft shop and I bought some special pieces to make for my friends, and didn’t know how to make earrings, but I tried, and they were happy with the earrings
4. Nature is a very big inspiration for my pieces. I like to see how I can recreate nature in an earring, whether it be symbolic of the trees outside my window, the crystal blue ocean water at my footsteps, or my favorite flower
5. The main concept of my artistic expression is to allow every woman that wears the jewelry to feel beautiful by wearing the pieces. I love how a piece of jewelry can bring an outfit together and make a woman feel so complete and confident in herself. I really want women to feel beautiful by recognizing the goddess within themselves and share that with others. I feel that my jewelry is able to make women understand their inner beauty.
6. I like to use very high quality materials, such as 14k goldfill wire, sterling silver, and freshwater pearls, mother of pearl shell and special stones. I try my best to recycle and be as eco-friendly as possible because I care about the well-being of the planet. The shell that I use comes from the discarded mother of pearl shells in Tahiti. The black pearl farmers use only the pearl inside the shell, and for them, the shell is waste. So I am happy to reuse it so there is not as much waste.
7. I have been featured in a lot of local (Hawaiian media) as well as Japanese media. Local magazines include: Ala Moana Magazine, FreeSurf Magazine, Honolulu Advertiser, Hawaii Modern Luxury magazine, and many others. Japanese media includes: FRAU magazine, Beach Girls Magazine, Aloha Tengoku TV show, Surfing Lani TV show, and Hawaiian Express TV show.
8. I am a single mother, living on the north shore of Oahu. My son Aukai is 18 months old and he was born here in our house. It was a very special and empowering moment to give birth to him all natural. I love being a mom although it can be very difficult at times. We live a very simple life and like to spend time at the beach, bodyboarding, running on the beach (with him on my shoulders), riding bicycle on the north shore bike path, or just playing in our yard. I love designing jewelry and I love supporting and empowering women who are doing awesome things with their lives. I currently sponsor professional surfer Coco Ho and singer Anuhea. I think it’s very important to give back to the community around me so I am beginning to expand my company to hire local women to work with me, so that everyone can enjoy beautiful jewelry with good energy that is made in Hawaii.